Ph.D. - Mathematics
Universite de Montreal - 2018
M.S. - Mathematics
Gdansk University - 2018
Topological Equivariant Methods in Nonlinear Analysis (TEMNA), with
special interests in applications to differential equations
(ODEs/FDEs/PDEs/FPDEs) and variational problems with symmetries
including symmetric models in mathematical biology (e.g. population
dynamics, symmetric configuration of neural networks, pattern
formation), fluid dynamics (e.g. Hopf bifurcation in Navier-Stokes
equation), electrical engineering (e.g. fluctuations in transmission
lines), to mention a few. The Equivariant Degree theory for non-abelian
groups, that was developed in recent years, is applied to investigate
impact of symmetries on dynamical systems, local and global bifurcation
problems, global continuation, existence of multiple periodic solutions
and their symmetric properties. Our methods were used, for example, to
investigate symmetric configurations of electrical, chemical or
biological oscillators, in population models, or electrical transmission
Z. Balanov, W. Krawcewicz, and H. Ruan, Applied Equivariant Degree. Part III. Global Symmetric Hopf Bifurcation for Functional Differential Equations. To appear in Procedings of the Latvian Academy of Sciences, Section B, Vol. 59 (2005), 6 (641), 234-240. 2005 - Publication
Z. Balanov, W. Krawcewicz and S. Zur , On Orbital Equivalence of Cubic ODEs in Two-Dimensional Algebras - Topological Methods in Nonlinear Analysis, 25 (2005), 205-234. 2005 - Publication
W. Krawcewicz, S.Ma and J.Wu, Multiple slowly oscillating periodic solutions in coupled lossless transmission lines. Nonlinear Anal. Real World Appl. 5 (2004), 309-354. 2004 - Publication
Z. Balanov, W. Krawcewicz, and B. Rai, Taylor-Couette Problem and Related Topics, Non-linear Analysis, Real World Applications 4 (2003), 541-559. 2003 - Publication
Z Balanov, Y. Krasnov, and W. Krawcewicz, Complex Structures in Algebras and Bounded Solutions to Quadratic ODEs Funct. Differ. Equ. 10 (2003), no. 1-2, 65-81. 2003 - Publication
Z. Balanov, W.Krawcewicz, and H. Steinlein, SO(3) >< Sl-Equivariant Degree with Applications to Symmetric Bifurcation Problems: The Case of One Free Parameter, Topological Methods in Nonlinear Analysis, 20 (2002), 335-374. 2002 - Publication
Balanov, Z., Krawcewicz, W. and Steinlein, H., Reduced SO(3) >< S1-equivariant degree with applications to symmetric bifurcations problems, Nonlinear Analysis (2001) (47), 1617-1628 2001 - Publication
W. Krawcewicz and W. Marzantowicz , An asymptotic estimate of the number of bifurcating solutions for the equation Au : ,uf(u), Functiones et Approximatio, 28 (2000), pp. 195-200. 2000 - Publication
Balanov, Z , Krawcewicz, W., Kushkuley, A.. and Zabreiko , P., On a local Lipschitz constant to the maps related to LU-decomposition, Zeitschrift fur Analysis und ihre Anwendungen, 19(2000), 1047-1055. 2000 - Publication
W. Krawcewicz and P. Vivi, Normal bifurcation and equivariant degree, Indian Journal of Mathematics, 42 (2000), 55-67. 2000 - Publication
University of Alberta [1999–Present]
Associate Professor (tenured)
University of Alberta [1993–1999]
University of Alberta [1988–1993]
NSERC Postdoctoral Fellow
University of Alberta [1987–1988]
NATO Postdoctoral Fellow
Universit Catholique de Louvain [1986–1987]
Universit de Sherbrooke [1985–1986]
University of Gdansk [1977–1981]
July and August 1996 at the University of Munich ALEXANDER VON HUMBOLDT FELLOWSHIP
July and August 1998 at the University of Munich
July and August 2000 at the University of Munich
July and August 2003 at the University of Munich
June, July and August 2004 at the Univeristy of Munich
September and October 2006 at the University of Munich
July and August 2008 at the University of Munich
PIMS Educational Prize - 2001
Alberta Science and Technology Leadership Foundation: Excellence in Science and Technology Public Awareness Prize - 2002.
- International Workshop on Huxiang Mathematics 2008, Changsha, China, May 2008.
- 8th Conference of the International Academy of Physical Sciences (CONIAPS-VIII), Agra, India, February 2007
- International Conference on Current Trends in Industrial and Applied Mathematics (ICC-TIAM07), Vadodara, India, January 2007
- Analytic Methods ofAnalysis and Differential Equations (AMADE), Minsk, Belarus, September 2006
- 7th Conference of the International Academy of Physical Sciences (CONIAPS-VII), Alla-habad, India, December 2004
- 69th International Workshop for Young Mathematicians Topology, Krakow, Poland, September 2006
- Forum of Polish Mathematicians in Gdansk, September 2006
- Conference on Fixed Point Theory and Its Applications in Honour of Professor Andrzej Granas, Montreal, Canada, August 16-20, 2004
- Topological and Variational Methods in Nonlinear Analysis June 23-28, 2003
- International Conference on Applied Mathematics & Mathematical Physics, Sylhet, Bangladesh, September 2000.
- International Conference on Topological and Variational Methods in Nonlinear Analysis, Bedlewo, Poland, June 2000.
- Edmonton Workshop on Methods of Nonlinear Analysis, Edmonton, August 1999 (organizer).
- Gilles Fournier Memorial Conference, Sherbrooke, August 1997.
- Nonlinear Phenomena in Dynamical Systems, Whitehorse, July 1997 (organizer).
- World Congress of Nonlinear Analyst, Athens, July 1996.
- The Third Geoffrey Butler Memorial Conference on Differential Equations and Population Biology, Edmonton, June 1996.
- Conference on Modern Methods of Theory of Functions, Voronezh, Russia (1995) (invited lecturer).
- Workshop on Pattern Formation & Symmetry Breaking in PDEs, The Fields Institute, Waterloo, Ontario, February 1993.
- The Second Geoffrey Butler Memorial Conference on Differential Equations and Population Biology, Edmonton, June 1992.
- Regional Meeting of AMS, Daytona, Ohio, October 92 (invited lecturer)
- International Symposium on Topological Methods in Nonlinear Analysis, Xalapa, Mexico, September 92 (invited lecturer).
- Annual Meeting of Canadian Mathematical Society, Brock University, The International Workshop on Variational Methods and Differential Equations, November 1989.
- Conference on Boundary Value Problems for ODEs, Ohio University, May 1990.
- International Conference on Topological Methods in Nonlinear Analysis, Gdansk, Poland, January 1989 (invited lecturer).
- Conference on Qualitative Theory of Differential Equations, Angel Kanchev Tech. University, Rousse, Bulgaria, July 1989.
Dr. Wieslaw Krawcewicz, a professor of mathematics at the University of Alberta, has joined UT Dallas as head of the Department of Mathematical Sciences. “We are fortunate in attracting an innovator in mathematics education and a respected scholar to lead the Department of Mathematical Sciences, a crucial part of UT Dallas’ strategic drive to become a major research university,” said Myron Salamon, dean of the School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. In searching for a new department head, the dean sought an experienced educator with a multidisciplinary research emphasis and a vision for the future of the department. Krawcewicz is charged with maintaining strong undergraduate and graduate degree programs in mathematics, applied mathematics, statistics and bioinformatics and computational biology. Under his leadership, M.S. and Ph.D. degree programs in actuarial mathematics and biostatistics are expected to be added
Graduate Students Supervision
Huaxing Xia Ph D. in Math Degree obtained in April 1994
Paula Vivi Ph.D. in Math. Degree obtained in Sept 1997
Meymanat Farzamirad Ph.D. in Math. Degree obtained in July 2005
Haibo Ruan Ph.D. Program in Math. Degree obtained in April 2008
Adrian Biglands M.Sc. Program in Math. Completion date June 2009
Brian Ketelboeter M.Sc. Program in Math Completion date June 2010
Huafeng Xia Ph.D. in Math at Guangzhou University co-supervisor
$17000/year - NSERC (Discovery Grant) [2008–2013]
$14000/year - NSERC (Discovery Grant) [2003–2008]
$15000/year - NSERC (Research) [1999–2003]
$14900/year - NSERC (Research) [1995–1999]
$3000 - CRF (Equipment) [1993–2018]