University of Chicago - 1967
University of Chicago - 1962
Massachusetts Institute of Technology - 1959
During my academic career, I have mentored 25 students to their Ph.D. (22 at UTD). My experimental work centers on the measurement of optical properties of solids with emphasis on modulation spectroscopy, Raman scattering and photoluminescence. Materials recently or currently studied include III-V compounds, both wide and narrow band gap semiconductors, elemental amorphous materials, nanomaterials, semiconducting silicides, thermoelectric materials and photonic crystals.
1. Properties of metal silicides. These have importance as silicon based light emitting devices. An ion-implanted FeSi2 device, emitting light at 1.5 microns, was developed at the University of Surrey, England. It is exciting because a silicon based infrared emitter is economically desirable for long distance fiber optic communication. This work has been the trigger for a full exploration of the electronic and vibrational properties of semiconducting silicides including FeSi2, OsSi2 and Ru2Si3. We have studied these materials by Raman and photoreflectance spectroscopies.
2. Wide band gap semiconductors, particularly GaN and AlN. These are of interest for blue and ultraviolet LEDs and lasers. We have a vacuum ultraviolet modulated reflectivity spectrometer with which we have been studying these materials out to 10 eV.
3. Narrow gap semiconductors, particularly InGaSb alloys. Moving toward the other end of the spectrum we have developed an apparatus that is capable of measuring modulated reflectivity (photoreflectance or electroreflectance) signals in the mid infrared. At this point, we have demonstrated our ability to measure photoreflectance signals down to 0.5 eV.
4. We are developing photoreflectance as a contactless technique for studying defect and surface states in semiconductors. It is basically an optical deep-level-transient-spectroscopy (DLTS) technique and requires measurements of photoreflectance spectra as a function of modulation frequency and temperature.
5. In collaboration with the NanoTech Institute at UTD, we are investigating hydrogen storage properties of nanotubes.
Student Involvement-Present and Past.
In the context of local ties with the semiconductor industry, several of the UTD Ph.D. graduates from our group deserve particular mention. Dr. Gary Frazier is the manager of the Nanoelectronics group at Raytheon. Prior to assuming his managerial responsibilities, he was a TI Fellow. Dr. Joe Estrera is Chief Technology Officer and Director of Engineering for Northrop Grumman in Garland, Texas. Also, Dr. Tim Ostromek, Dr. Adriana Giordana and Dr. Loig Bourree are research scientists at Northrop Grumman. Dr. Glen Birdwell is a research scientist at MEMC in Sherman, Texas. Dr. Steve Collins is manager of research programs for the NanoTech Institute at UTD. Currently, Justin Schaefers is working on a collaborative Ph.D. project with Northrop Grumman.
Self-assembly of colloidal silica into opals with large ordered single crystals. Preston B. Landon, Cody Gilleland, Brandon Jarvis, Brian D. Waters, Kanzan Inoue and R. Glosser, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochem. Eng. Aspects. 259, 35 (2005). 2005 - Publication
Effect of modulation duty cycle on the amplitude of photoreflectance. Esam Al-Arfaj, R. Glosser, K. Alavi, E.A. Beam III, Canadian Journal of Physics. 83, 1029 (2005). 2005 - Publication
"Excitonic transitions in β-FeSi2 epitaxial films and single crystals.” A.G. Birdwell, T.J. Shaffner, D. Chandler-Horowitz, G.H. Buh, M. Rebien, W. Henrion, P. Stauß, G. Behr, L. Malikova, F.H. Pollak, C. Littler, R. Glosser and S. Collins, Journal of Applied Physics 95, 2441 (2004). 2004 - Publication
Optical characterization of n-and p-doped 4H-SiC by electroreflectance spectroscopy.” Gazi Demir, Timothy E. Renfro, R. Glosser, and S.E. Saddow, Applied Physics Letters 84, 3540 (2004). 2004 - Publication
(Invited Paper) “Self-assembly methods for photonic crystals.” Preston B. Landon, R. Glosser and Anvar A. Zakhidov,
in Proceedings of Integrated Photonics Research Conference, June, 2003. Trends in Optics and Photonics 91, 52 (2003). 2003 - Publication
“Electroreflectance of hexagonal gallium nitride at the fundamental and E1 spectral regions.” M.F. Al-Kuhaili, R. Glosser, A.E. Wickenden, D.D. Koleske, and R.L. Henry, Applied Physics Letters 82, 1203 (2003). 2003 - Publication
"Raman and Magneto Transport Studies of MBE Grown beta-FeSi2, beta-(Fe1-xCrx)Si2, and beta-(Fe1-xCox)Si2," A. Srujana, A. Wadhawan, K. Srikala, B.P. Gorman, R.J. Cottier, Wei Zhao, C.L. Littler, J.M. Perez, and T.D. Golding, W. Henrion, M. Rebien, P. Stauss and R. Glosser, (Paper presented at the MRS meeting, Boston, MA 2-5 December 2002) Proceedings of the MRS 744 (in press). 2002 - Publication
“Characterization of InGaSb by Photoreflectance Spectroscopy.” S. Collins, A.G. Birdwell, R. Glosser, and Brian R. Bennett, Journal of Applied Physics 91, 1175 (2002). 2002 - Publication
“Photoreflectance Study of Ion Beam Synthesized beta-FeSi2.” A.G. Birdwell, S. Collins, R. Glosser, D.N. Leong, and K.P. Homewood, Journal of Applied Physics 91, 1219 (2002). 2002 - Publication
Northrop Grumman/Litton, Garland, Texas [2002–Present]
Northrop Grumman/Litton, Garland, Texas [2001–2018]
on Special Faculty Development Assignment from UTD and appointed as Visiting Professorial Research Fellow under an award from the UK Engineering and Physical Science Research Council
University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey, England [1996–1997]
Litton/Varo, Garland, Texas [1993–2018]
Varo/IMO, Garland, Texas [1992–2018]
Varo/IMO, Garland, Texas [1991–2018]
ASEE Navy Summer Faculty Fellow
Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, D.C., [1990–2018]
The University of Texas at Dallas [1990–Present]
ASEE Navy Summer Faculty Grant
Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, D.C., [1986–2018]
Varo, Inc., Garland, Texas [1984–2018]
M.S. Thesis Sponsored
"Versatile Microscopic Photoluminescence Apparatus." by Loig Erwan Richard Bouree, the University of Texas at Dallas (August 2000).
"Transport Properties of HgCdTe by Infrared Reflectance." by Charlotte Tatsch, The University of Texas at Dallas (May 1989).
"Surface Capacitance of Indium Antimonide Metal-Insulator-Semiconductor Capacitors." by James Halvis, The University of Texas at Dallas (May 1980).
"Electroreflectance Measurements of Small Energy Gap Semiconductors with Emphasis of PbSe." by Razieh Jandaghi Semnani, The University of Texas at Dallas (December 1977).
"Polishes and Etches for Small Gap Semiconductors with a New Method of Chemical Polishing for PbSe and Preparation of MIS Capacitor Devices for Electroreflectance Measurements." by Gholam-Hossein Bandeh-Ahmadi, The University of Texas at Dallas (December 1977).
Abstracts and Unpublished Talks
- Hollow colloidal rods formed on a viral template. P.B. Landon, R. Baughman, A. Zakhidov, R. Draper, R. Glosser, J. Synowczynski and S.G. Hirsch, presented at the Texas Section of the APS, Brownsville, October 10-12, 2002
- "A Clarification of the Optical Interband transitions near the fundamental absorption edge of b- FeSi2. A. Glen Birdwell, Deane Chandler-Horowitz, Tom Shaffner, S. Collins, R. Glosser, W. Henrion, M. Rebien and P. Stauss, presented at the 2002 NIST Sigma Xi Postdoc Poster Session at NIST, February 25, 2002.
- "Optical interband transitions near the fundamental absorption edge of b-FeSi2" A. G. Birdwell, D. Chandler-Horowitz, S. Collins, R. Glosser, W. Henrion, M. Rebien, P. Stauss, presented at the A.P.S. meeting, Indianapolis, March 18-22, 2002.
- "Layer by Layer Coding of Buckminster Fullerenes and Polymers on Colloidal Silica Spheres in Chloroform" Preston Landon, Robert Glosser, Anvar Zakhidov, presented at the A.P.S. meeting, Indianapolis, March 18-22, 2002.
- "Inverse metallic photonic crystals templated from fcc synthetic opals constructed by the gravitational-charge assembly of silica micro-spheres" Preston Landon, Bog G Kim, Loig Bourree, Tim Renfro, John Doug Vass, Kenneth E. Huffman, Alan Dalton, Robert Glosser, Anvar Zakhidov, Rockford K. Draper, Ray Baughman, presented at the A.P.S. Meeting, Texas Section, March 7-9, 2002.
- "Versatile Microscopic Photoluminescence Apparatus" Loig E. Bourree, David R. Chasse, Joseph P. Estrera, Robert Glosser, Stefano Pitassi, Justin K. Schaefers, to be presented at the A.P.S. Meeting, Texas Section, March 7-9, 2002.
- "Electroreflectance Experimentation in the VUV at the University of Texas at Dallas" Tim Renfro, Mohammad Al-Kuhaili, Loig Bourree, Preston, Landon, R. Glosser, to be presented at the A.P.S. Meeting, Texas Section, March 7-9, 2002.
- "Electroreflectance Characterization of Silicon Carbide Polytype" Gazi Demir, Stephen Saddow, Loig Bourree, R. Glosser, presented at the A.P.S. Meeting, Texas Section, March 7- 9, 2002.
- Wide Bandgap Semiconductors. M.F. Al-Kuhaili, R. Glosser Bull. APS (1999) presented at the APS meeting in Atlanta, March 22, 1999.
- A New Technique for Controlled Electroless Deposition of Osmium onto Silicon. A.G. Birdwell, L.K. Magel, I.H.Musselman and R. Glosser. Bull. APS (1999) presented at the APS meets in Atlanta, March 22, 1999.
- Raman probe of the Si/silicide interface of Fe+ ion implanted FeSi2. A. G. Birdwell, R. Glosser, D. N. Leong and K. P. Homewood. Bull. APS (1998) presented at the A.P.S. meeting in Los Angeles, March 16, 1998.
- The Temperature Dependence of the Electroluminescence Characteristics of Blue GaN-Based Light Emitting Diodes. S.Sweeney, P.Vicente, R. Glosser, S. Rogers and A.R. Adams. Presented at the Nitride-based Materials and Devices Conference, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey, England, July 10, 1997.
- Photoreflectance Pump Frequency Effects in GaAs/InxGa1-xAs Quantum Well nipi Structures. T. Ostromek, R. Glosser and R.L. Tober. Bull. APS 40, 697 (1995).
- Characterization of Nanoscale Materials by micro-Raman and Modulation Spectroscopies. R. Glosser. Presented at the second workshop for the Center for Atomically Engineered and Nanoscale Materials. Laboratory for Physical Sciences, College Park, Maryland, October 15- 16, 1993.
- Characterization of Silicon on Insulator Materials by Photoreflectance. A. Giordana, R. Glosser, J.G. Pellegrino, E.D. Richmond, K. Joyner and G. Pollack. Presented at Ninth Annual Symposium of Texas Chapter of AVS 4-5 June 1990, Richardson, Texas.
- Photoreflectance: An Effective, Nondestructive Tool for the Characterization of Silicon on Insulator Structures. A. Giordana, R. Glosser, J.G. Pellegrino, S. Qadri and E.D. Richmond. Presented at the Optical Engineering Southcentral 1990 Symposium, 10-11 May 1990, Dallas, Texas.
- Photoreflectance Characterization of Silicon on Sapphire and SIMOX Materials. A. Giordana, R. Glosser, J.G. Pellegrino, M.E. Twigg, S. Qadri, and E.D. Richmond. Bull. APS 35, 705 (1990).
- Photoreflectance of doped GaAs at the E1 Transition. A. Badakhshan, R. Glosser, and S. Lambert. Bull. APS 35, 705 (1990).
- Photoreflectance Characterization of Silicon Films on Insulator. A. Giordana, R. Glosser, J. Liu, J.G. Pellegrino, S. Qadri, and E.D. Richmond, presented at the 8th Annual Symposium on Electronic materials, Processing, and Characterization, 5-6 June 1989, Richardson, TX.
- Photoreflectance of Heterostructures Beyond the Band Gap. A. Badakhshan, C. Durbin, R. Glosser, and S.A. Lambert, presented at the 8th Annual Symposium on Electronic materials, Processing, and Characterization, 5-6 June, 1989, Richardson, TX.
- Photoreflectance of MBE Silicon Films on Sapphire. Adriana Giordana, R. Glosser, Joseph G. Pellegrino, and Eliezer D. Richmond, presented at the Fall 1988 Materials Research Symposium, 28 November to 3 December 1988, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Piezoreflectance Studies of the Cis to Trans Isomerization of Polyacetylene Films. R.L. Tober, J.P. Ferraris and R. Glosser, presented at the Fall 1985 Materials Research Society Symposium 2-7 December 1985, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Pressure-Concentration Isotherms and Resistance Measurements of Thin Films of the Palladium-Hydrogen System. Ming-Way Lee and R. Glosser, Bull. APS 30, 1151 (1985).
- Thickness Dependence of the Pressure Composition Isotherms for Films of the Palladium- Hydrogen System. Ming-Way Lee and R. Glosser, Bull. APS 29, 239 (1984).
- Thermoreflectance Measurements of Thin Films of the Palladium-Hydrogen System. Gary A. Frazier and R. Glosser, Bull. APS 26, 209 (1981).
- Properties of Thin Films of the Palladium Hydrogen System. Gary A. Frazier and R. Glosser. Talk presented at a joint meeting of the Texas Section AAPT and The Society of Physics Students 15-17 November 1979, Abilene, Texas.
- Band Separations and Parity at the L Point in Lead Chalcogenides by Electroreflectance. B. Rennex, Gary A. Frazier, R. Semnani, G.H. Bandah-Ahmadi, R. Glosser and J. Kinoshita, Bull. APS 24, 364 (1978).
- Thermoreflectance Spectra of the Palladium-Hydrogen System. Gary A. Frazier, R. Glosser and J.J. Vuillemin, Bull. APS 23, 233 (1978).
- Electroreflectance of the Lead Chalcogenides. B. Rennex, R. Glosser and J. Kinoshita, Bull. APS 21, 366 (1976).
- Unusual Interference Effect in the Band Population Electroreflectance Modulation of InSb and InAs. D.L. Johnson, R. Glosser and N. Bottka, Bull. APS 21, 428 (1976).
- Electroreflectance of PbS, PbSe and PbTe. B. Rennex, J. Kinoshita and R. Glosser. Bull. APS 20, 287 (1975).
- Anomalous Splitting of the 1 eV Electroreflectance Structure in InSb. N. Bottka, R. Glosser and J. Kinoshita. Bull. APS 20, 287 (1975).
- Modulated Reflectance of Graphite. J. Kinoshita, B. Rennex and R. Glosser, Bull. APS 17, 313 (1974).
- Differential Optical Absorptivity of Ni Rich NiCu Alloys. H.D. Drew and R. Glosser, Bull. APS 17, 571 (1972)
- Photoconductivity of Amorphous Silicon. S.K. Bahl and R. Glosser, Bull. APS 17, 595 (1972).
- Applications of Electroreflectance and Band Population Effects to Small Gap Semiconductors. R. Glosser and B.O. Seraphin, Bull. APS 15, 288 (1970).
- Microwave Surface Impedance of Superconducting Tantalum as a Function of Magnetic Field and Temperature. R. Glosser and D.H. Douglass, Jr., Bull. APS 11, 88 (1966).
- Member, ad hoc committee for promotion of faculty member to Professor, 2005
- Member, Physics Faculty Search Committee, 2004-2005
- Physics Department Liaison to Founders Renovation Committee, 2004-05
- Member, Excellence in Education Foundation Scholarship Committee 2003-05
- Member of Academic Integrity Committee 2002-05
- Member, Faculty Personnel Committee, 2003-2005
- Member, Clean Room Committee 2003-04
- Chair, Physics Faculty Search Committee, 2002-2003
- Member, Radiation Safety Committee, 2000-2005
- Member, Program Review Committee, 2000-2001
- Chair, CQ, 1999-2000
- Member, Academic Council, 1999-2000
- Member, Academic Senate, 1999-2002
- Member, Applied Physics Master's Degree Committee, 1999-2000
- Member, Physics Undergraduate Committee, 1997-2000
- Chair, ad hoc committee for promotion of faculty member to Professor, 1998.
- Member, CQ, 1998-99
- President, Sigma Xi, UTD Chapter 1998-1999
- Chair, Physics Programs Colloquia series, 1998
- Member, Biosafety Committee, 1997-1998
- Member, Physics Program Self-Study Committee, 1996
- Chair, Safety Committee, 1994-1996.
- Chair, Physics Programs Colloquia series, 1994-1996
- Chair, ad hoc committee for third year review/promotion, 1993.
- Vice Chair, Safety Committee, 1992-94.
- Member, Parking and Security Committee, 1992-94.
- Member, Undergraduate Curriculum Committee 1989.
- Member, Task Force for Academic Expansion 1989.
- Vice Chair, Committee on Educational Policy, 1989-1990.
- Chair, Committee on Educational Policy, 1988-1989.
- Chair, Physics Qualifying Exam Committee Fall 1982.
- Chair, Faculty Handbook Committee 1982-1983.
- Member, Academic Senate 1981-1982 and 1988-1989.
- Member, Search Committee for Junior Faculty Member, 1988-1989.
- Member, Committee on Student Life, 1983-1985.
- Member, Search Committee for Senior Experimental Physicist, 1981-1983.
Optical Characterization of III-V Compounds.
$13,506 - Varo/IMO [1994–1994]
Photoreflectance Characterization of SIMOX.
$20,000 - Texas instruments, Inc. [1991–1994]
High Precision, Nondestructive Characterization of Bulk InGaAs and InAlAs/InGaAs in HEMT Structures.
$10,150 - Texas Instruments, Inc. [1991–1991]
Optical Characterization of Semiconductor Materials.
$155,179 - Varo/IMO [1987–1994]
Liquid Phase Epitaxial Growth and Optical Characterization of III-V Compound Semiconductors.
$5,504 - Varo/IMO [1987–1987]