Ph.D. - Social Anthropology
University of Chicago - 1966
M.A. - Anthropology
University of Chicago - 1963
B.A. - Philosophy
Reed College - 1961
My fundamental interest is in the relationship between human thought and human social organization--more specifically in thought, including decision making, as an aspect of organization and vice versa. This plays itself out in specific concerns with the following:
- Social organization, social and economic development.
- Communication and information theory.
- History and epistemology of social science.
- Comparative law, law and development, the relation between legal philosophy and social philosophy.
- Rural sociology and irrigation sociology. Farm systems. Farm management.
- South Asia: politics, social organization, history and culture, particularly as they affect development.
- Irrigation sociology.
- Irrigation and development.
Co-authored with Dwight Read (UCLA). Human Thought and Social Organization:
Anthropology on a New Plane. Lexington Books. (Division of Rowan and Littlefield). 2012 - Publication
Co-authored with Dwight Read (UCLA). The Foundation of Human Thought and Society:
Anthropology on a New Plane. Lexington Books. (Division of Rowan and Littlefield).
Accepted December, 2010. 2012 - Publication
Biotechnology, Agriculture and Anthropology: How We Can Help in Anthropology
News. Newsletter of the American Anthropological Association. (refereed). January. page
1. 2012 - Publication
Rice article in Encyclopedia of Sustainability. Berkshire Publishing. Invited Spring
2011. 2012 - Publication
Human Thought and Social Organization: Anthropology on a new plane. with Dwight Read. Lanham, Boulder, New York, etc. : Lexington Books. 2012 - Publication
The Recognition of Kinship Terminologies as Formal Systems. in Special Issue of
Ethnology. U of Pittsburg Press. 2012 - Publication
with Michael Fischer and Dwight Read What Are Kinship Terminologies, and Why Do
We Care? A Computational Approach to Analyzing Symbolic Domains Social Science
Computer Review Sage Journals, first published on September 24, 2012 2012 - Publication
Agribusiness article in Encyclopedia of Sustainability. Berkshire Publishing. Invited
Spring 2011. 2012 - Publication
The Alliance-Descent Debate. Sage Encyclopedia of Theory in Social and Cultural
Anthropology. (Invited and refereed, but not technical) 2012 - Publication
The Green Revolution article in Encyclopedia of Sustainability. Berkshire Publishing.
Invited Spring 2011. 2011 - Publication
Professor of Anthropology and Political Economy
The University of Texas at Dallas [1987–Present]
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Political Economy
The University of Texas at Dallas [1975–1981]
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
Pomona College, Claremont, California [1966–1967]
David Schneider's Idealism, Relativism, and the Confusion of Kinship
2018–2018 Invited Paper in a panel on the Influence of David M. Schneider on Anthropological Theory.?Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association, Philadelphia, November 1998.
David Schneider's Idealism
1997–1997 Invited Paper in a panel on the Influence of David M. Schneider on Anthropological Theory.?Annual Meeting of the Central States Anthropological Association,?April 5, 1997.
2007–2007 Paper presented on panel on formal methods in anthropology, Annual Meetings of the Society for Anthropological Sciences, San Antonio, Texas. 22-24 Februrary, 2007.
Walter C. (Terry) Neale
2004–2004 Invited remarks at Memorial meeting at the Annual Meetings of the Center for South Asian Studies, University of Wisconsin, Madison. October 24, 2004. Professor Neale was a leading institutional economist, dealing with South Asia.
Self-Organization Capability of Local Communities
1990–1990 Invited Theme Paper (one of three) for First Expert Group Meeting of United Nations Centre For Regional Development, Yokohama and Nagoya, Japan. Feb. 3-9.
University Service, UTD (Partial list)
- 1975-77 Executive Director, UTD Accreditation SelfStudy. Coordinated committee activity and edited SelfStudy report.
- 1977-78 Secretary, Academic Senate/Council. Member, President's Committee on Goals.
- 1978-79 Secretary, Academic Senate/Council. Member, Ad Hoc Committee on Faculty Handbook. With John Kimmeldorf, redrafted Senate constitution and committee charges to bring them into a coherent system, pursuant to evaluation in accreditation self-study.
- 1981-83 Member, Committee on Educational Policy.
- 1982-83 Member, Academic Senate; Member Academic Council; Secretary Academic Senate and Council; Member Committee on Qualifications of Academic Personnel.
- 1983-87 Member, Academic Senate.
- 1984-85 Member, Academic Council.
- 1983-87 Member, Committee on Qualifications of Academic Personnel (two terms).
- 1984-86 Member Clark Foundation Scholarship Committee.
- 1986-87 Member, UTD Self-Study Committee (Chaired undergraduate program review until going on leave, July 1987.)
- 1989-92 Member, Committee on Qualifications of Academic Personnel.
- 1989-1992. Member, Committee on Qualifications of Academic Personnel, UTD.
- 1989-90 Member, committee on freshman-sophomore program, School of Social Sciences.
- 1990-95 Member, committee on core curriculum, UTD.
- 1991-93 Member, Academic Senate, UTD.
- 1994-95 Member, Academic Senate and Council, UTD.
- 3+3 committee on evaluation of administrators.
- 3+3 committee on affirmative action policy.
- 1996-98 Member, Academic Senate and Council, UTD.
- 1998-99 Member, Academic Senate, UTD.
- 1997-98 Member, UT Dallas Library Committee,
- 1998-2000 Chair, U T Dallas Library Committee (two terms).
- 2001-Spr 2004 Speaker of the U T Dallas Academic Senate (three terms). This entailed several additional ex-officio positions.
- 2001-2 Member, President's Task Force on UTD Master Plan.
- 2004 Member, UTD Presidential Search Advisory Committee.
- 2004-2005 Member, Academic Senate, U T Dallas. Member, Academic Council. Chair, Committee on Facilities; Chair, Task force on Workload Strategies; Chair, ad hoc Committee on Signage, Member, Committee on Committees.
- 2006-present Speaker of the Faculty. This entails several ex-officio positions. Chair, Campus Facilities Oversight Committee.
- May 2001-Present (multiple terms) Member U T System Faculty Advisory Council.
- 2005- Member, Executive Board of University of Texas System Faculty Advisory Council
- 2005- Co-Chair of Governance Subcommittee, University of Texas System Faculty Advisory Council
- 2007-8 Member, Search Committee for Dean of School of Engineering and Computer Sciences, UT Dallas.
- 2007-8 Member, Search Committee for Vice President for Enrollment Management, UT Dallas.
- American Anthropological Association, Fellow.
- Royal Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland, Fellow.
- Law and Society Association, Member.
- Society for Economic Anthropology, Member
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, Member
- Texas Faculty Association (NEA affiliate), Member
- French: good, spoken and written
- Punjabi: good spoken, fair written
- Hindostani: fair spoken, fair written
- Some ability to read and speak Italian, Spanish, German, and Japanese, but not up to the minimum USFS standard.