M.S. - Communication Disorders
University of Texas at Dallas - 2004
B.A. - Speech and Hearing Sciences
University of New Mexico - 2002
Research interests include:
Neurogenic language and speech motor disorders in adults
Discourse production in aphasia and right hemisphere dysfunction
Collective memory and identify in Holocaust survivors and American veterans of World War II
Ulatowska, H., Reyes, B., Olea-Santos, T., Garst, D., Vernon, J. & McArthur, J. (in-press) Personal narratives in aphasia: Understanding narrative competence. Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation. forthcoming - Publication
Ulatowska, H., Reyes, B., Olea-Santos, T., Garst, D., Vernon, J., Mak, K, & Graham, K. (accepted). Production and comprehension in aphasia: Gains and pitfalls in using macrostructure tasks in Aesop's fables. International Journal of Speech Language Pathology. forthcoming - Publication
Joglar, J., Nguyen, C., Garst, D., & Katz, W. (accepted) Safety of electromagnetic articulography (EMA) in patients with pacemakers and implantable cardioverter-defibrillators. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. ? - Publication
McNeil, M.R., Katz, W.F., Fossett, T.R.D., Doyle, P., Szuminsky, N., Garst, D., & Carter, G. (In preparation) Effects of a visual kinematic and auditory feedback treatment for apraxia of speech. ? - Publication
Katz, W., McNeil, M. & Garst, D (2010). Treating apraxia of speech (AOS) with EMA-supplied visual augmented feedback. Aphasiology, 24, 826-837. 2010 - Publication
McNeil, M., Katz, W., Fossett, T., Garst, D., Szuminsky, N., Carter, G., & Lim, K. (2010). Effects of on-line augmented kinematic and perceptual feedback on treatment of speech movement in apraxia of speech. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica, 62, 127-33. 2010 - Publication
Katz, W., Garst, D., & Levitt, J. (2008). The role of prosody in a case of foreign accent syndrome. Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics, 22(7): 537-566. 2008 - Publication
Garst, D., & Katz, W. (2006, Aug. 15). Foreign accent syndrome. The ASHA Leader, 11 (10), 10-11, 31. 2006 - Publication
Search for Identity in Child Survivors of the Holocaust. Using the War: Changing Memories of World War Two
2005–2005 Garst, D., Oral History Society Conference: London.
Adult Perspectives of Childhood Holocaust Experience
2003–2003 Garst, D., A Review of Written Narrative International Conference of Reminiscence and Life Review: Vancouver, BC.
On-line visual and kinematic feedback in a sound production treatment
2008–2008 Fossett, T.R.D., McNeil, M.R., Katz, W.F., Garst, D., Doyle, P., Szuminsky, N., Carter, G.,Conference on Motor Speech: Monterey, CA.
The role of prosody in the foreign accent syndrome: A single-subject study
2007–2007 Garst, D., Levitt, J., Katz, W., Acoustical Society of America Conference: Salt Lake City, UT.
Effects of visually augmented kinematic feedback with constant practice for the treatment of apraxia of speech: A single-subject experiment
2007–2007 McNeil, M., Fossett, T.R.D., Katz, W, Garst, D., Carter, G., Szuminsky, & Doyle, P., 37th Clinical Aphasiology Conference: Scottsdale, AZ.
- American Speech Language Hearing Association Certificate of Clinical Competency #12067422, Neurophysiology and Neurogenic Speech and Language Disorders: Special Interest Division 2
- Texas State Speech Language Pathology License #101960
- Professor of Practice III Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing. School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences, The University of Texas at Dallas. (2020-present)
- Senior Lecturer III Communication Disorders, School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences, The University of Texas at Dallas. (2015-2020)
- Senior Lecturer II Communication Disorders, School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences, The University of Texas at Dallas. (2013-2015)
- Clinical Lecturer Communication Disorders, School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences, The University of Texas at Dallas. (2009-2013)
- Research Coordinator, Veteran Administration Merit Award, Dallas VA Research Corporation. “Biofeedback treatment of apraxia of speech following stroke.” (2005-2008)
- Speech Language Pathology Clinical Fellow, Digame Speech and Language Consultants, Alamogordo, New Mexico, 2004-2005.
- Research Assistant, Center for BrainHealth, The University of Texas at Dallas, 2003-2004.
- ASHA Continuing Education Ace Award, 2017, 2014, 2011, 2008
- ASHFoundation 2003 Graduate Student Scholarship
- Regents' Scholar University of New Mexico (1998-2002)
- Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, Golden Key Honor Societies